Closing the Quarry Visitor Center
In July of 2006, the Quarry Visitor Center at Dinosaur National Monument was closed indefinitely. The building, which had known foundational problems only a few years after its completion in 1958, was finally declared structurally unstable, and unfit for visitors. Dinosaur National Monument included plans to restore the building in a development report for the following year, but the building would remain in a period of stasis, due to the lack of funding from the National Park Service.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 would be signed into law by President Obama, and the National Park Service would be allotted 750 million dollars. The National Park Service would set aside 8.4 million dollars for two new buildings; a Quarry Exhibit Hall to house the in situ exhibit and a Quarry Visitor Center which is located near the entrance station. Both were completed in 2011, and remain open to the public year round.
A full account of the events can be found on Land of the Dead, a blog maintained by paleontologist Dan Chure.